Frequently Asked Questions:
What is Krav Maga? (Pronounced “krahv ma-gah”)
Krav Maga is the official self defense and fighting system of the Israeli Defense Forces and U.S. law enforcement agencies. This wholly unique and original method was developed and refined during years of conflict. Krav Maga emphasizes easy-to-learn techniques that have been battle-tested in real, life threatening confrontations. There is nothing flashy about the system.
What does Krav Maga mean?
The literal translation from Hebrew to English is “contact combat” or “close combat.”
Where did Krav Maga come from?
The seeds of the unique Krav Maga Self Defense system were planted back in the late 1930s in Bratislava, Czechoslovakia by a young man named Imi Lichtenfeld. Imi was a natural athlete, holding European championship titles in a variety of sports, including boxing, wrestling, and gymnastics. It was from his father, however, a famous and highly respected police detective and trainer, that Imi learned street fighting skills that he would use to save his own life and those of his neighbors on the rough streets of Eastern Europe.
Prior to World War II, Imi was fortunate enough to escape from Eastern Europe. He arrived in the Middle East and began fighting for the independence of Israel. Shortly after the formation of the fledgling state, Imi was hanpicked by the government to create a practical, highly effective self defense and hand-to-hand combat system for the military. Keenly aware of the differences between sports competition and street survival, Imi developed the Krav Maga System, which was initially taught only to the Israeli Defense Forces, National Police, and Secret Service. Because of its incredible effectiveness, Krav Maga has since spread to the civilian population and is now taught throughout Europe, Scandinavia, and the United States.
What if I have no martial arts experience?
You don’t need any martial arts experience to start training in Krav Maga.
What classes do you offer?
We have five programs: Krav Maga, Self Defense, Weapons, Fighting and Fitness. These are the classes available to beginners:
Is there a belt system for Krav Maga?
Yes, there is a complete belt system in Krav Maga:
- KM Level 1 (Yellow Belt Curriculum)
- KM Level 2 (Orange Belt Curriculum)
- KM Level 3 (Green Belt Curriculum)
- KM Level 4 (Blue Belt Curriculum)
- KM Level 5 (Brown Belt Curriculum)
Note: Black Belt and above is by invitation only and require a minimum of 24 months training as a Brown Belt.
How do I advance to the next level in Krav Maga?
These timelines are only approximates and assume the member is training on average two to three times per week. (Please be aware that members progress through the system at different paces.)
- Yellow Belt Test – 4 – 6 months
- Orange Belt Test –6 -9 months
- Green Belt Test – 1 year
- Blue Belt Test – 1 year
- Brown Belt Test – 12 months
- Black Belt Test – at least 2 years at brown and by invitation only
Once you have trained for the required time needed to progress to the next belt level, you must attain a PERMISSION TO TEST FORM at our Front Desk. Prior to class, please give the completed form to your instructor, After training in each level for the required amount of time, members participate in a Belt Workshop and Belt Test.
1) Can kids and adults take classes? Kids Classes are open to anyone 8-12 years of age or older; adult classes are available for ages 13 and up. Some exceptions are made depending on the childs ability to focus and understand. This is a great way for your child to learn self defense.
2) How many days a week can I train? Up to 5 days a week are available. We recommend at least twice a week for proficiency and belt progression.
3) Can I take classes if I’m not in great shape? Yes! It works regardless of age, size, strength or physical fitness.
4) How much does it cost? We have a wide range to plans for our Members to choose from and many programs including: Krav Maga, Fitness Classes (KM Bag Class, Kickboxing & Boxing), Combat Conditioning, Fight Class (ground and stand up fighting) and Weapons Class. We offer family plans, military, law enforcement and first responder discounts. Call us for the current price schedule and see if you qualify for a discount.
5) When can I start? Once you enroll, you can start attending classes immediately.
6) Is any prior experience required? No. We do not require any previous experience or physical conditioning to start.
7) Do you offer discounts for multiple family members to attend classes? Yes. We have family plans.
8) Do you provide private lessons? Yes. Our instructors can be retained for private lessons or for group lessons. Prices and times vary depending on instructor.
Our Instructors can be retained for Private Lessons for an individual or group (adults and kids).
We can also conduct Private Seminars – at your location or ours – on Self Defense, Weapons & Law Enforcement.
Call us at 248-953-4180 or use our Contact Us form to request more information.
Krav Maga Great Lakes
Self Defense | Fitness | Nutrition | Accountability | Fighting
Techniques based on instinctual reactions to attacks.
Krav Maga Great Lakes is a licensee of Krav Maga Worldwide